Shocktober 2011!!!

Any information relating to the month of October can be found here.
TomBobBlender
Site Admin

Shocktober 2011!!!

Post by TomBobBlender » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:15 pm

ohhhh MAN! That time of the year is CREEPING up on us again! The TomBobBlender Show is nearing it's 4TH YEAR with the annual presentation of Shocktober, a month-long event celebrating horrifying games and game-play throughout the goriest month that is October. We would LOVE to hear your ideas for this years event. Feel free to openly discuss any ideas you may have. While we already have a set WiiPlay schedule in place since the conclusion of last years Shocktober (can be found on the Facebook Fanpage for The TomBobBlender Show), we are still open to any other ideas/replacements. As of this posting we have roughly two months of sandbox play, so get involved!

The schedule for Shocktober 2011 has been finalized.

WiiScream (WiiPlay)
Meanday - Dead Rising 2
Tombsday - Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Websday - Nightmare House 2
Thrillsday - Trauma
Fryday - Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
Slaughterday - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Stunday - Bioshock 2
"Now You're Playing With Power!"

Wii Number : 3546-5127-8610-8011
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0301-9464-0567
Mario Kart Wii: 0516-7665-3917
Dr. Mario Rx Online: 4670-9321-8111
Tetris DS: 060635-257343
Mario Kart DS: 476896-529050
Tetris Party: 451135-831426

Unholyrath

Re: Shocktober 2011!!!

Post by Unholyrath » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Few games I'd like to see:

- Amnesia (classic ambient fear)
- Snatcher (Doubt anyone could co-host this, though..)
- Chozo Mythos again (Doubt most people want to see the rest of it, though..)
- LSD Dream Emulator (Doesn't even need a co-host)

I'll edit if I think of more.
Last edited by Unholyrath on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maverick-hunter

Post by Maverick-hunter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Heres a list of games that I beleive should be played this year besides the already determened sequiles, Devil May Cry "Let's rock, baby!", Onimusha"to replace RE cause I don't think Tom will play any of the other ones", Penumbra, Amnesia "Tom should do it totally blind though", I deffentlly beleive these game blend enough horror and action into the mix. like someone once said "shocktober is a time to play game that would not normally be streamed" and these games fit the bill perfectlly!
yuki_fox_demon

Post by yuki_fox_demon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Silent Hill 2 is a set game for this year :3 just pointing that out. i definitely agree on the Amnesia idea.

also keep in mind we have to make sure there are at least two people available to cohost any one game.
Pelord

Post by Pelord » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Tom, I actually had about four games (possibly a fifth) in mind.

The thing here is that I was thinking that if you didn't want to play them, or if you couldn't due to time/money/etc., that I could play them as part of community streaming. The difference would be that I know the four games well enough, where you would be playing them for the first time. I'll leave that to you (since I know the carryovers from last year are more priority, but then again, can the rest of Eternal Darkness take another four weeks? And I thought you kind of rage quit Psychonauts...) , but I'll at least mention the games here. Unless things change, I could guest stream them any day of the week before your scheduled show. Otherwise, if I would be needed to co-host, be available for Game Over/Dead End, or for whatever reason have to play a game during your scheduled time, that would be limited to Friday or Saturday.

Considering Shocktober is a month long charity event (it's still going to be, right?), I think the additional coverage of games would be beneficial, but once again, I'm just throwing the idea out there.

I already told you one of the games that has to be played this year. Bayonetta. (Though I shouldn't have to say this, the game is directed by Hideki Kamiya, director of the classic Devil May Cry, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and of course, Resident Evil 2.) One playthrough isn't too long.

There's the rest of Perfect Dark you can finish. The second half of the game is where things get a 'bit' creepy. You got almost halfway through in the hour I claimed for it, so there isn't much else you would need to play of it. Could try the Co-Op play again, since I do have a somewhat better internet connection now than I did a year ago. Maybe Steve will even show up (not in person, obviously. THAT would be scary if he flew to CA to play Perfect Dark with you...).

I also think that Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (an Xbox Summer of Arcade game this year) should be part of it. It would be similar to how you held off on playing Limbo last year. It's a short game, so it would work best as a Dead End game. This game has a multiplayer minigame of sorts, as well, which supports up to four players (and yes, it is online, despite what the game's description says).

I was also thinking Beyond Good and Evil, which is probably on the same scale as Perfect Dark as far as horror factor (as in, not too much overall), but it would make a more than appropriate fill-in considering it's plot. While not considered a long game, this would definitely be the longest of all the games I mentioned, so this one would need some time devoted to it.

As for the possible fifth game, I'll save that for a later time (and considering it's length, it would definitely have to be a Dead End game, anyway)... but I know it would get a few laughs if you played it.
2:18 Pelord: I'm not responsible for the damages caused from these videos
2:18 Banondorf: ... in bed
PantheonSasuke

Re: Spocktober 2011!!!

Post by PantheonSasuke » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Scary games, scary games, scary games, hmm...

To be honest, I'm not really into the 'scares' everyone enjoys, since I like being able to sleep at night :P But if these haven't been recommended or tried before, maybe...

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Probably one of the eerier games in the series, though everything kinda got weird and unsettling with Ocarina of Time, though I might've missed an earlier title that did so :P

Metroid Fusion - This is probably more suspense than scares, but there is one particularly unnerving scene in the game. Chances are this has already been played, though.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Again, probably not scary, but the game has some literally dark environments to it, and the antagonizing alien species has some ghost-like abilities.

Kirby Super Star - Okay, this game obviously isn't scary unless you're deathly afraid of the color pink, but I bet it'd be plenty scary if you inverted the colors, had something distorting the sound, and maybe threw in some additional eerie noises and maybe some cutaways to nasty old feet. That'd make it WAY terrifying, yo.

But yeah, I don't expose myself to too many scary things, so I can't really offer anything scary. I have seen some games such as the FPS Painkiller that might be suitable, but aren't sure how available some of these titles are now.
yuki_fox_demon

Re: Spocktober 2011!!!

Post by yuki_fox_demon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 pm

PantheonSasuke wrote:Scary games, scary games, scary games, hmm...

To be honest, I'm not really into the 'scares' everyone enjoys, since I like being able to sleep at night :P But if these haven't been recommended or tried before, maybe...

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Probably one of the eerier games in the series, though everything kinda got weird and unsettling with Ocarina of Time, though I might've missed an earlier title that did so :P

Metroid Fusion - This is probably more suspense than scares, but there is one particularly unnerving scene in the game. Chances are this has already been played, though.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Again, probably not scary, but the game has some literally dark environments to it, and the antagonizing alien species has some ghost-like abilities.

Kirby Super Star - Okay, this game obviously isn't scary unless you're deathly afraid of the color pink, but I bet it'd be plenty scary if you inverted the colors, had something distorting the sound, and maybe threw in some additional eerie noises and maybe some cutaways to nasty old feet. That'd make it WAY terrifying, yo.

But yeah, I don't expose myself to too many scary things, so I can't really offer anything scary. I have seen some games such as the FPS Painkiller that might be suitable, but aren't sure how available some of these titles are now.
one problem: tom has already played those XD he's going to be doing MM over again when he does LoZ for Riiplays, so doing it now would sorta defeat the purpose.

also, dont forget Sweet Home. I haven't really played it much, but it's pretty cool. ALSO. I THINK WE SHOULD PLAY HUGO'S HOUSE OF HORRORS <3 i played it as a child and have only beaten it once i found it again last year XD it's pretty scary if you screw up
Foxtrot200

Post by Foxtrot200 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 pm

You need to play Nightmare House 2

I've already completed it so I can cohost! I highly recommend it! I couldn't stop playing it!
Maverick-hunter

Post by Maverick-hunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 pm

now that looks scary.... :shock:
shipguy55

Post by shipguy55 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm

L.A. NOIRE it is a game where you have to find clues interrogate and solve murder mysteries.
Grifforzer

Post by Grifforzer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Ju-On: The Grudge (Wii) - I see you have that game in your backloggery

Neo Deboth Army having their fun while not trying to destroy Japan.
Pelord

Post by Pelord » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Didn't Tom finish The Path, or is there something else he needs to do in it?

Though I know Tom didn't finish Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (not to mention there were a bunch of other GBA/DS Castlevania's he hasn't got around to), and I'm not too sure what his progress was on Clock Tower. Another game I know Tom has played a bit of where I don't know how far he's played it is Ghostbusters 360. There's also a downloadable Ghostbusters game that adds to that game's story, Sanctum of Slime, but I honestly haven't heard too many good things about it (it's on XBLA, and I think PC).

They are REALLY OLD point and click flash games, but has Tom ever played (on streamed, at least) Crimson/Viridian Room or The Mystery of Time and Space? Those games inspired a lot of clones (like Exmortis).
XMentalX23

Post by XMentalX23 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 pm

tom should do Killing floor :D
IM NOT MENTAL AT ALL IM JUST CRAZY!!!
Grifforzer

Post by Grifforzer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:34 pm

I am pretty sure he is done with "The Path"

Max15946

Post by Max15946 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:37 pm

well there is this HL2 mod called Underhell but is really short but has alot of side stuff i would suggest it for Game Over

Also i say Alan Wake and Dead Rising series
Pelord

Post by Pelord » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:44 am

After playing the demo, and watching some gameplay, BloodRayne: Betrayal (XBLA) is another possible option. Not really sure how much time it would take up, though. I'd still recommend the other mentioned games first.

I also suggest going back and grabbing all the gems in Eversion :P
RenTimH

Post by RenTimH » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:46 pm

I may want to suggest to have Psychonauts play in the new day. Like Saturday, So that way I don't have to be late than 30 minutes to log on.

Remember when Tom said: "Screw it, I'll have to go on without Ren."

That gave me an issue to being late in time, so I really really REALLY want it on the different day.

Also, a game suggestion is Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman (PC) I nevered played the game, but it might be fun to see tom plays it. Or... Ugly Americans Game.
Justin TV name: Wiiguy07_2011
Paradox_Zero

Post by Paradox_Zero » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 am

Might I make a few suggestions? I have no idea if any of these have already been suggested, but here goes:

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare simply because you can't really find another Western game that lets you kills zombies (well, you can't find any decent ones). Though the game is only decent (IMO), Undead Nightmare is good fun for a quick romp, especially if you can get some people on co-op.

I'd say Dead Island, but I find that game more loltastic than scary (especially with this "Fist of the North Star" mod my friend has on the PC version; love punching them zombies so hard they go flying away in slow motion, then giving them a Super Kick just for good measure).

Shim Megami Tensei can be scary to some, and it certainly has an eerie atmosphere, but I think it might be a tad high on the difficulty for a good cast (and by that, I mean sometimes even random battles in SMT can turn into total BS with your party getting wiped within 1 or 2 turns).

You could always celebrate the return of Ghostbusters to theaters this Halloween (and that shooting for Ghostbusters 3 starts in Spring 2012 <3 ) by playing the Ghostbusters game on Xbox 360/PS3/Wii, or at least the Genesis game.

Insert obligatory "Maybe some Castlevania in honor of its 25th birthday this September" remark here.

I don't know if you'd do it due to how R-rated it can be, but Catherine is a good choice IMO. A story about love, betrayal, and being lost in nightmares seems kinda appropriate for Shocktoberfest.

Doom 1/2/3 is always a good choice.

I second the idea of doing Snatchers (Hideo Kojima's 2nd best work behind Policenauts), but preferably not the Sega CD version. I'd rather the MSX version simply because the voice acting in the Sega CD version is up there with Castlevania: SotN in terms of sheer epic (fail).

And I must plea for Deadly Premonition! Such a great game (reviewers had no idea what they were talking about with DP)! Great story, great atmosphere, and certainly has its scary moments. The last 1/4th of the game is simply legendary in terms of shock value, story, and sheer eerie epicness.

That's all I got for now.
"I don't want to have this talk again - and fix my damn jukebox!" - Jim Raynor
RenTimH

Post by RenTimH » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Paradox_Zero wrote:Might I make a few suggestions? I have no idea if any of these have already been suggested, but here goes:

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare simply because you can't really find another Western game that lets you kills zombies (well, you can't find any decent ones). Though the game is only decent (IMO), Undead Nightmare is good fun for a quick romp, especially if you can get some people on co-op.

I'd say Dead Island, but I find that game more loltastic than scary (especially with this "Fist of the North Star" mod my friend has on the PC version; love punching them zombies so hard they go flying away in slow motion, then giving them a Super Kick just for good measure).

Shim Megami Tensei can be scary to some, and it certainly has an eerie atmosphere, but I think it might be a tad high on the difficulty for a good cast (and by that, I mean sometimes even random battles in SMT can turn into total BS with your party getting wiped within 1 or 2 turns).

You could always celebrate the return of Ghostbusters to theaters this Halloween (and that shooting for Ghostbusters 3 starts in Spring 2012 <3 ) by playing the Ghostbusters game on Xbox 360/PS3/Wii, or at least the Genesis game.

Insert obligatory "Maybe some Castlevania in honor of its 25th birthday this September" remark here.

I don't know if you'd do it due to how R-rated it can be, but Catherine is a good choice IMO. A story about love, betrayal, and being lost in nightmares seems kinda appropriate for Shocktoberfest.

Doom 1/2/3 is always a good choice.

I second the idea of doing Snatchers (Hideo Kojima's 2nd best work behind Policenauts), but preferably not the Sega CD version. I'd rather the MSX version simply because the voice acting in the Sega CD version is up there with Castlevania: SotN in terms of sheer epic (fail).

And I must plea for Deadly Premonition! Such a great game (reviewers had no idea what they were talking about with DP)! Great story, great atmosphere, and certainly has its scary moments. The last 1/4th of the game is simply legendary in terms of shock value, story, and sheer eerie epicness.

That's all I got for now.

I wished Tom would have Dead Island on the PC, that'll be nice, but he already did Ghostbusters on the 360. Catherine is more of a Game Over segment, because it's for mature audience. Idk about R.D.R.U.N. Tom would not like it, because it's like GTA with western themed. He might've played or not Doom Trilogy and/or the spin offs. Idk if Tom is in the 2nd or 3rd run of Eternal Darkness yet? What about Disgaea series start only for ps2 games because Tom did not own a PS3 yet.
Justin TV name: Wiiguy07_2011
AncientGuru

Post by AncientGuru » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:12 pm

The schedule for this year has been released. We are, unfortunately, very limited in the systems and games available this year, but I think we've still got a schedule that will be a great time.
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and that empty space is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Pelord

Post by Pelord » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:41 pm

The only thing I request: since we agreed to try making Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet a Game Over/Dead End game, if it could be played on a Friday or Saturday night when I can be available (since I specifically encouraged it due to it's online mode).

I will also try to get around to streaming something during the day (6PM EST/3PM PST) before Tom's scheduled time. I'm going to try to go for Tuesday and Thursday. Will most likely start with Bayonetta, then Perfect Dark. If I finish both, I'll probably go with Beyond Good and Evil.

I also believe that WillSerenity is thinking of streaming Dead Space. And Satyrane wants to stream something that will make her scream like a girl :P
Grifforzer

Post by Grifforzer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 am

Pelord wrote:
I also believe that WillSerenity is thinking of streaming Dead Space. And Satyrane wants to stream something that will make her scream like a girl :P
Will has posted that he was doing "Dead Space" on Monday.

Return to “Shocktober”