Anti-lolcat script

Anything non-video game, non-stream and non-TomBob related.
Foxtrot200

Anti-lolcat script

Post by Foxtrot200 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 pm

I didn't used to hate lolcats, but over the last year or so, some people have been overusing them. So much, in fact, that I have written a script specifically designed to remove them from my view and into the status window (so I may review them if I need to). If any of you have mIRC and would like to benefit from my frustration, put this snippet in the remotes tab of your mIRC script editor:

Code: Select all

on ^*:ACTION:*cat*:*: {
on ^*:ACTION:*cat*:*: {
  if ($regex($1-,(?i)\b[\d\w]+cat(s*)?\b) & !$regex($1-,(?i)\b(bear|bob|copy|du|hell|hep|magnifi|mud|mus|pole|pussy|requies|s|tip|tom|wild|house)cat\b)) {
    /echo -s - $chan $timestamp $chr(42) $nick $1-
    /halt
  }
}
This uses regular expressions to evaluate the message and decide whether or not there is a lolcat in any of it.

This has helped me keep from raging at my computer. Maybe it can help you, too.
PantheonSasuke

Re: Anti-lolcat script

Post by PantheonSasuke » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:54 am

'Fraid I have little to no idea how this stuff works, but I'm not seeing any 'lol's in that parenthesized list (bearcat and ducat and mudcat, amongst others, though? :P), so would lolcat itself still show up if said?
yuki_fox_demon

Post by yuki_fox_demon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm

PantheonSasuke wrote:'Fraid I have little to no idea how this stuff works, but I'm not seeing any 'lol's in that parenthesized list (bearcat and ducat and mudcat, amongst others, though? :P), so would lolcat itself still show up if said?
i think it affects any action with the word "cat" in it. so you could say "lolcat" and it would show up.
Foxtrot200

Post by Foxtrot200 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 pm

The script works by using regular expressions to check for any word that ends in "cat"
If it finds such a word, it checks to see if it begins with any of the allowed prefixes (bear, bob, tom, etc.) If it does not contain an allowed prefix, it blocks the message and echoes it to the server/status window.

This ensures that words like "lolcat" and "steamrollercat" are blocked with no further modifications.

Return to “Off-Topic/General Discussion”