Official Community Censored Word List

User avatar
TomBobBlender
Site Admin
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Official Community Censored Word List

Postby TomBobBlender » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:48 pm

The community at The TomBobBlender Show expects all users to express their thoughts, feelings and opinions through our official community chat room using language appropriate for all ages. Contrary to what many would believe, you can communicate a statement expressing a variety of emotion and meaning without the use of inappropriate language. Challenge yourself to use better language. It's also good practice for your professional life.

Provided below is the official list of censored words. Become familiar with them, and please avoid using them. Consider this your one and only warning. If you use them, you will be removed for no less than 30 minutes. As outlined in the stream rules, censoring yourself is NEVER acceptable, and will be dealt with at the moderators discretion.

Take charge of your language and, more importantly, take responsibility of it.

(if there are additional words you feel should be added to the list, feel free to respond to this forum topic or contact TomBobBlender via Skype or e-mail.)

Spoiler for :
bullshit, cunt, fag, faggot, fuck, fudgepacker, jap, lesbo, nigger, niglet, shit, spic, twat
"Now You're Playing With Power!"

Wii Number : 3546-5127-8610-8011
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0301-9464-0567
Mario Kart Wii: 0516-7665-3917
Dr. Mario Rx Online: 4670-9321-8111
Tetris DS: 060635-257343
Mario Kart DS: 476896-529050
Tetris Party: 451135-831426

Image
GizmoEx
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby GizmoEx » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:40 pm

I recommend "Retard" be added to the list. It's not a swear word, but is often used as a synonym for stupid and is very offensive when used in that context.
TBB IRC Chat: vgplayer
JTV/TTV: GizmoEx
Steam: Gizmo89
Gamespot Profile
Youtube Channel
User avatar
yuki_fox_demon
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: in his heart.

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby yuki_fox_demon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:27 pm

GizmoEx wrote:I recommend "Retard" be added to the list. It's not a swear word, but is often used as a synonym for stupid and is very offensive when used in that context.

i disagree for the simple fact that, if you're going to use it to refer to something as stupid (ie, "that's just retarded."), you may as well censor the word 'stupid', too, because you're essentially saying the same thing.

also, that would be something that would be up to the mod's discretion. i'm not going to ban someone for saying something in a game is retarded. however, i WILL kick/ban someone for calling someone in the chat a retard. we're trying to keep this list as to the point as possible. they're words that banon will pick up on and automatically ban anyone who posts them in the chat. the same would go for the term 'gay.' it's all in the context. and we really can't put words on the censor list simply because they 'might' offend someone. our list would simply end up way too long if we did that.
Image
GizmoEx
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby GizmoEx » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:09 pm

yuki_fox_demon wrote:
GizmoEx wrote:I recommend "Retard" be added to the list. It's not a swear word, but is often used as a synonym for stupid and is very offensive when used in that context.

i disagree for the simple fact that, if you're going to use it to refer to something as stupid (ie, "that's just retarded."), you may as well censor the word 'stupid', too, because you're essentially saying the same thing.

also, that would be something that would be up to the mod's discretion. i'm not going to ban someone for saying something in a game is retarded. however, i WILL kick/ban someone for calling someone in the chat a retard. we're trying to keep this list as to the point as possible. they're words that banon will pick up on and automatically ban anyone who posts them in the chat. the same would go for the term 'gay.' it's all in the context. and we really can't put words on the censor list simply because they 'might' offend someone. our list would simply end up way too long if we did that.


Well, mental retardation is a serious thing and using the word "retard" to imply that anything or anybody is stupid just doesn't seem right to me. Some members of my family use that word all the time to do exactly that, and it gets on my nerves sometimes. If you want to say that something or someone is stupid, you can just simply use the word stupid instead of saying retard., which brings a mental condition into the picture. That's just my opinion.
TBB IRC Chat: vgplayer
JTV/TTV: GizmoEx
Steam: Gizmo89
Gamespot Profile
Youtube Channel
User avatar
yuki_fox_demon
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: in his heart.

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby yuki_fox_demon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:50 pm

GizmoEx wrote:
yuki_fox_demon wrote:
GizmoEx wrote:I recommend "Retard" be added to the list. It's not a swear word, but is often used as a synonym for stupid and is very offensive when used in that context.

i disagree for the simple fact that, if you're going to use it to refer to something as stupid (ie, "that's just retarded."), you may as well censor the word 'stupid', too, because you're essentially saying the same thing.

also, that would be something that would be up to the mod's discretion. i'm not going to ban someone for saying something in a game is retarded. however, i WILL kick/ban someone for calling someone in the chat a retard. we're trying to keep this list as to the point as possible. they're words that banon will pick up on and automatically ban anyone who posts them in the chat. the same would go for the term 'gay.' it's all in the context. and we really can't put words on the censor list simply because they 'might' offend someone. our list would simply end up way too long if we did that.


Well, mental retardation is a serious thing and using the word "retard" to imply that anything or anybody is stupid just doesn't seem right to me. Some members of my family use that word all the time to do exactly that, and it gets on my nerves sometimes. If you want to say that something or someone is stupid, you can just simply use the word stupid instead of saying retard., which brings a mental condition into the picture. That's just my opinion.

but that's the thing. it offends you, yes. i apologize for that. but that's where freedom of speech comes in. we can't censor words that are not 'bad' in their meaning simply for the fact they might offend someone. we'd be censoring words left and right. but, AGAIN, the mods are still going to be watching the chat to look for instances like that.
Image
Stuart444
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:54 am

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby Stuart444 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:51 am

Sorry but if you're going to have the word 'twat' in the censor list, you should have the word 'retard' and 'retarded' in the list as it is often associated with being mentally stupid.

In the same vein, twat is often associated with calling someone a twat aka stupid similar to a british word "You plonker"

If you have twat there, there is NO reason not to have retard and retarded, simple as that.
User avatar
empressdonna
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK
Contact:

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby empressdonna » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 am

I just looked up the definition of retard as, most people over here use it in the offensive manner.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/retard

I've never seen / heard someone use the term retard to mean slow.. unless aimed at a person and usually that comes with a tinge of 'you have a mental issue'.

Personally, it's not a word commonly in use in our chatroom these days (unless about game characters), but it's.. one of those words that should be on the list because other offensive words are in the list.
Image

Image
please PM me before adding me to any messenger

http://dragcave.net/user/empressdonna
Stuart444
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:54 am

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby Stuart444 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:00 am

empressdonna wrote:Personally, it's not a word commonly in use in our chatroom these days.


Same with twat which is on the list and as I said, that doesn't mean anything offensive over here.

Reminds me of spaz/spastic which means something worse over here than in America. (remember it in Mario Party before being recalled for it to get taken out?)
User avatar
empressdonna
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK
Contact:

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby empressdonna » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:14 am

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/twat

If you scroll down, you'll see the stupid definition (commonly used here) and honestly, i've never heard people over here use twat as the american definition here (I know this is an american stream, and I wouldn't use the word unless I made myself clear because of this but.. I had to point this out).

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fanny is what we commonly use as female genitals.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/spastic - just for those that don't know what spastic / spaz is here
Image

Image
please PM me before adding me to any messenger

http://dragcave.net/user/empressdonna
User avatar
yuki_fox_demon
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: in his heart.

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby yuki_fox_demon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:34 pm

so it seems there may be a SLIGHT confusion on this list, so i'll explain.

this list is NOT a list of the ONLY words that are not to be used in the chat. this is a list of words that Banondorf will pick up on and automatically ban anyone who says them for thirty minutes. that does not in any way mean that someone will not be kicked/banned for calling someone a retard, gay, stupid, etc. that would actually fall under our 'trolling' rule, and they would be removed for it anyway. the mods are still going to remove people for using words like these as slurs, they just will not be an automatic ban by Banondorf.
Image
User avatar
KingSpore
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby KingSpore » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Maybe this site will help inform everyone about the r-word and help people decide on whether or not it should be added to the list.

http://www.r-word.org/r-word-questions-and-answer.aspx

Also, these questions and answers from the link are probably the most important for the discussion so I'll paste them here.

Q: So you’re not trying to remove it from the dictionary, or tell academics they can’t use it when it’s used properly?
A: We want people to understand that it is hurtful when it is used as a derogatory term, and that’s really how it is used the majority of the time. You don’t have to use the R-word. If there’s a better way to say what you’re trying to say, then do that

Q: Are you looking to ban the word completely or do you think it can still be used in certain contexts?
A: This effort is intended to draw attention to the fact that a large population of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities are hurt and offended by the use of the R-word. Our goal is to raise awareness and enhance the conversation so that people understand that when they use the R-word it isn’t funny, it isn’t a joke, but it is harmful.

Q: What term should be used in place of mental retardation?
A: “Intellectual disability” is a widely accepted synonym for “mental retardation.” For many, the term “mental retardation” evokes the word “retard” and brings up painful memories of rejection and ridicule. The important thing to remember when considering language is that we are all people first. If Joe slips and breaks his foot, he is not a broken footed person. He is Joe with a broken foot. The person should ALWAYS come before the condition.


The last question I pasted brings up a very good point about the concept of people first language. It's really a good tip to follow anywhere really, especially because a disability doesn't define a person ever.
User avatar
yuki_fox_demon
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: in his heart.

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby yuki_fox_demon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 am

KingSpore wrote:Maybe this site will help inform everyone about the r-word and help people decide on whether or not it should be added to the list.

http://www.r-word.org/r-word-questions-and-answer.aspx

Also, these questions and answers from the link are probably the most important for the discussion so I'll paste them here.

Q: So you’re not trying to remove it from the dictionary, or tell academics they can’t use it when it’s used properly?
A: We want people to understand that it is hurtful when it is used as a derogatory term, and that’s really how it is used the majority of the time. You don’t have to use the R-word. If there’s a better way to say what you’re trying to say, then do that

Q: Are you looking to ban the word completely or do you think it can still be used in certain contexts?
A: This effort is intended to draw attention to the fact that a large population of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities are hurt and offended by the use of the R-word. Our goal is to raise awareness and enhance the conversation so that people understand that when they use the R-word it isn’t funny, it isn’t a joke, but it is harmful.

Q: What term should be used in place of mental retardation?
A: “Intellectual disability” is a widely accepted synonym for “mental retardation.” For many, the term “mental retardation” evokes the word “retard” and brings up painful memories of rejection and ridicule. The important thing to remember when considering language is that we are all people first. If Joe slips and breaks his foot, he is not a broken footed person. He is Joe with a broken foot. The person should ALWAYS come before the condition.


The last question I pasted brings up a very good point about the concept of people first language. It's really a good tip to follow anywhere really, especially because a disability doesn't define a person ever.


i perfectly understand this. i happen to have a mentally handicapped cousin. and these are all great points. BUT! i think everyone is missing the entire point here. we never said that saying 'retard' or calling someone a 'retard' was fine. it's not. but it's not a word that should be AUTOMATICALLY bannable for thirty minutes. if it's used in a context that merits it, we will remove them. what else would we have to censor? oh, i find it offensive to say "what a blond." let's make blond an automatic bannable offense, because it offends blonds. oh, and let's make it bannable to say 'you throw like a girl.' that's offensive to women.

it's kinda silly to do that. we are always, ALWAYS going to say something that might offend someone else. again, these are words that are specifically picked up by banon and auto-banned.
Image
User avatar
KingSpore
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby KingSpore » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Well, of course, I didn't specify whether or not I think it should be on the auto ban list or not. I just wanted to provide some input and some information in order to help inform people about its use, and why it's better to use other words instead.
User avatar
yuki_fox_demon
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: in his heart.

Re: Official Community Censored Word List

Postby yuki_fox_demon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:10 pm

KingSpore wrote:Well, of course, I didn't specify whether or not I think it should be on the auto ban list or not. I just wanted to provide some input and some information in order to help inform people about its use, and why it's better to use other words instead.


oh! well, yeah, i definitely understand. my main argument was that gizmo wanted it on the censor list, and i was trying to clarify what the censor list actually was. thanks for the input, and sorry for the misunderstanding ^^;
Image

Return to “Stream Rules, Structure, Tutorials [OUTDATED]”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest