USTREAM to JUSTIN: FAQ

TomBobBlender
Site Admin

USTREAM to JUSTIN: FAQ

Post by TomBobBlender » Wed May 04, 2011 12:58 pm

So, why did you leave UStream?
I didn't leave UStream; they're having serious issues with their service. So serious, in fact, I can not broadcast to their service anymore. Problems have been building up with their service lately, and they have even admitted to their faults, and 'plan to fix them eventually'. As of this post, it's been two weeks. Since that time, we have moved to JustinTV, and discovered a whole lot more features, especially for the gaming community. Once UStream comes back to life, I plan to dual-broadcast there.

Do you still plan to use the UStream chat?
As of today, probably not. I don't really see the point. It will always remain open, however, but I don't plan on monitoring it much longer.

So, are we using the JustinTV chat, then?
We have been testing different chat services, and isolated with JTV for a bit. Met with tremendous outrage by the community due to its limited features as we were once saturated with in our previous UStream chat environment, we have launched our own top-secret (not really, but it sounds cool) chat room location, separate from ANY video streaming service. That way, if we ever have to move again, the chat location won't change. It also contains all the features UStream once had.

Oh, so you're just going to ignore newcomers who join the show? That's pretty mean!!
Not at all. JTV chat offers a join message whenever someone joins. I plan to keep a chat window open to make sure I don't miss anyone new, anyway. If they are sincerely interested in joining to see what's up, they can. It will also help prevent against spammers, trolls, and ill-mannered individuals.

So, which chat are using then? All this movement is confusing my brain. Make up your mind already!!
After testing out a few different locations, we are primarily going to settle with a separate IRC client. The chat server is chat.tombobblender.com (which is merely just a redirect to irc.rizon.net for easy location), the chat port is 6667 and the room is #tombobblender.

Ugh, but that means I have to get an IRC client ... that's too much work!!
Really? I think you're just being lazy. It's really NOT that hard, and can be very helpful in the long run. Extremely customizable, and quite a few services are free. We have wonderful tutorials to help you get set up quite quickly. For Windows, I recommend mIRC, and for OSX, I recommend Colloquy (Colloquy is completely free and I totally recommend it. Been using it almost three years and love it). Besides, if you're that whiny about getting your own client, my website has an embedded chat with streaming video all set up.

Man, I hate change. I don't approve of any of this. This is too much at once. I'm LEAVING FOREVER!
It's your decision. :)

Any additional questions? Post them below, and I'll see what I can do to help. :)

<3 TomBob
"Now You're Playing With Power!"

Wii Number : 3546-5127-8610-8011
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0301-9464-0567
Mario Kart Wii: 0516-7665-3917
Dr. Mario Rx Online: 4670-9321-8111
Tetris DS: 060635-257343
Mario Kart DS: 476896-529050
Tetris Party: 451135-831426

Return to “Community Concerns”