The 8th Generation

hyp64

The 8th Generation

Post by hyp64 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:19 pm

I believe with the graphics capability of the Nintendo 3DS, I think that we should NOW OFFICIALLY add the 8th Generation catagory; unless this is still the 7th. I've heard that the portable console is no Virtual Boy, and the 3-D graphics are legit. When it comes out, expect me in front of the local Gamestoppe the Sunday it comes out (if it DOES come out on a Sunday)

Did I mention I take Latin?

tu es caudex:3
empressdonna

Re: The 8th Generation

Post by empressdonna » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:50 am

I believe that only home consoles determine the generation change, and not handheld.

So, when Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft release their next big console, the generation will change.

please PM me before adding me to any messenger

http://dragcave.net/user/empressdonna
yuki_fox_demon

Post by yuki_fox_demon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 pm

technically, the 3DS would be, as you say, the 8th generation. Nintendo has already confirmed that it isn't actually another DS, but the successor to the DS and a new generation of handheld consoles (i believe that last part is correct).
WillSerenity

Post by WillSerenity » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:46 am

I have a fear that the 8th Generation is going to be all 3D with Motion controls. Because, Nintendo is going to, sadly, make 3D viable for gaming and we already see what they did with motion controls. So, 2D games and controllers go bye-bye. Grandma gets to buy a new system while I become strictly retro.

Call me a prude or against change if you like. I'm not against change when I see it as something that's...how do I say, needed. Granted, you could say that nothing past the Odyssey was "needed". But, if you honestly think about it, what do motion controls give us what we didn't already have? I get to stand up and movie my arms, while sweating my arse off and getting tired, as I play?

And, don't get me started on 3d. Does it really make tv and movies better than what we had already? Is it going to make gaming better than it is now? Companies spend too much time concentrating on how things look, but not enough on their substance. Can we let graphics hit a zenith for a while and focus on plot and gameplay? I know that pretty much 99.9% of everything has been done, but I wish they'd quit rehashing the same stuff year after year....

This is going WAY off topic. Let's just say that I'm a little scared of what the next gen brings because I can see the 7th gen becoming my last gaming gen quite quickly.
yuki_fox_demon

Post by yuki_fox_demon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm

i sort of agree. i dont really see 3D as a 'fad', because it's just the next step up for technology. I'm sure motion controls were considered a fad before, too. the problem is there are a lot of people (like tom and me) who have eye problems that prevent them from experiencing the effects of 3D movies (and soon to be games) either at all or fully. i DO love the feature for the 3DS that allows you to actually turn it off.

though it sort of makes me think that if they can do this stuff with games, what else could they use it for? we've seen older shows that have motion control features, and even new ones, such as Avatar and the mech machines in the movie. with the technology now, that sort of thing might not be far off. and i apologize if there's already technology on that with, like, controlling robots and such. i havent really read up on it X3

Return to “Nintendo DS”