The TomBobBlender Show and You

Any topics encouraging community discussions or debates.
TomBobBlender
Site Admin

The TomBobBlender Show and You

Post by TomBobBlender » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:09 pm

I have been giving this some thought for a few months now, and recently brought it up in the deserted-holiday chat. I got quite a bit of mixed responses, so I figured I'd just post my intentions here.

I am not sure how much longer I can keep this show running. In fact, I highly doubt it's the issue at all, anyway. I am beginning to panic a little bit on the inside in terms of where I'll be and what I'll be doing in the near future. I will be receiving my Masters degree this May and will be done with school. Forever. No more interruptions from teaching just for some silly requirements (professional certification is all that's left, but that comes with years of teaching experience, so it doesn't really apply here). Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you want to look at it), I will then be looking for another full-time music teaching position for the 2011-2012 school year. I am beginning to have serious doubts about finding a position in NY, but one can't really tell so early. I have great intentions for leaving NY state for both personal and educational reasons. I don't know where, or how, or when ... I just know that I personally need a change. A change of lifestyle, scenery and outlook. I think it's time for me.

Anyway, what I'm about to tell you is the real meat of what I wanted to discuss with you.

I love this community. So. Much. However big or small you seem to think it is, I think it's perfect. Enough attention is given so that everyone is recognized and appreciated, and that's something I truly value with people. When you have too many people, we become more distant and less-structured in terms of community appeal and relation. I encourage our community to grow, but never want to see it explode so much as to derail the intimate connections we have made (some of us going between two or three years now).

I am considering opening up the WiiPlay Segment to YOU guys. Basically, a member of the community can more or less claim one day of the week to play 'something'. This something can be a game series of their choosing, a game voted on by the community, or however we would like to do it. It can have similar structure to what I do, such as play through a series, but it doesn't have to be that way. It could be a game that you're awesome at, and could demonstrate your ability to shred through the game. It's really up to you.

The advantages? The community can demonstrate THEIR gaming skills to each other. They would already have an established chat room, complete with moderators, bots and structure. All they would really need to do is play the game and commentate. A lot of the work is already done for them. They can have co-hosts if they wish. In fact, they can use the services I have already paid for, such as Mumble.

The disadvantages? Each participant would need the proper equipment to stream, such as a capture card, microphone, decent internet connection and video game systems. These are obviously implied, but it doesn't hurt to state them.

Before you say anything, I just want to clarify a few things: No, I am not trying to weasel my way out of streaming. Not in a any way. I will definitely continue to do what I do, for as long as I possibly can. This is just something fun I thought of, and wanted to hear your input.

Maybe this can be a Game Over thing, or maybe as a Prii-WiiPlay show, as to not interfere with the WiiPlay schedule as it stands. My mind is racing. It's all very exciting to think about (for me, anyway).

I know a LOT of you are probably going to say "it's cool and all, but I come here to see YOU, Tom!", which it totally fine and understandable. That won't change. :)

These broadcasters WILL BE LIMITED to our community. I don't want some random outsider to be doing it. I want people who are familiar with our rapport, structure and expectations. I'm sure you know what I mean.

If you are upset about this whole idea, please don't be. ;) The success of this plan is only successful if it generates interest from the community.

Thanks for your time. Discuss away!
"Now You're Playing With Power!"

Wii Number : 3546-5127-8610-8011
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0301-9464-0567
Mario Kart Wii: 0516-7665-3917
Dr. Mario Rx Online: 4670-9321-8111
Tetris DS: 060635-257343
Mario Kart DS: 476896-529050
Tetris Party: 451135-831426

Pelord

Re: The TomBobBlender Show and You

Post by Pelord » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:29 pm

I was just going to suggest this kind of idea to you once you started streaming again. Really. Stop reading our minds, man! :P

Well, my actual suggestion was to consider something like your own week-long stream Fanfest that you could hold a couple times in the year. Depending on how many people you can get involved, each person could get one day out of a week to either stream a game of their choice, or a game of your choice.

I was also thinking the possibility of where everyone would play the same Wii game, but pass over the previous player's save file to the next person. Kind of like how Earthbound was passed between players, but this would be through save files and SD cards.

I personally would be able to do any of the requirements for such an event, although for co-hosting, the best I'd be able to do is through a Skype Android application over my phone.
2:18 Pelord: I'm not responsible for the damages caused from these videos
2:18 Banondorf: ... in bed
empressdonna

Re: The TomBobBlender Show and You

Post by empressdonna » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Sadly I don't think I can be of much help in this situation since:

1) I do not own a capture card, every game would be limited to my PC collection.
2) UK timezone which means most people wouldn't be able to watch anyway

I would love to help in anyway I can. That starts with me being in the chatroom more often and that is one of my year's resolutions (and I plan to keep it, starting officially tomorrow due to the time it is. Though I DID plan to start sooner [like the 1st of jan]).

please PM me before adding me to any messenger

http://dragcave.net/user/empressdonna

Return to “Community Discussion Topics”