New Minecraft Server Format

General talk about Minecraft!
Foxtrot200

New Minecraft Server Format

Post by Foxtrot200 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:21 pm

In an attempt to revive the Minecraft server, the server format is going to change.
Instead of one world, there will be two: The main world and a civil world.

What does this mean?
Basically, I will be creating a new world and making changes in favor of a more civil-style server.
I will try to preserve the function of the main world as much as possible, but I can't guarantee everything will be the same.

Here is what I have planned out:

Land Structure
Instead of allowing only mods and admins to protect land, I will be enabling WorldGuard's land purchase feature that will allow you to select a cuboid area and purchase it (priced per block).
This will be ideal for towns and cities.

Shops
I've decided that NPC shops aren't as bad as I once thought. As a result, I will be adding an NPC shop plugin so you can request an NPC shop to be created in your town, city, or shop building. This will allow people to buy the materials they need rather than toil in the mines or deal with pricing systems that have become overly reliant on complex spreadsheets ;)

Functional Structures
I want the server to be more functional and inspiring. There are quite a few plugins available that enable all sorts of different mechanics and structures. I will be adding plugins to enable different redstone devices and perhaps even game arenas.

Economy
In order to create some sort of goal so people keep coming back, I will be gearing to server towards an economical structure. This means shops as well as admission fees to certain places will be encouraged and I will add support for this as well.

Towns and Cities
When you enter the civil world, you will start in a town with shops, houses, and various other structures. You may either take up residence in the town or venture out into the wilderness and survive on your own or find/create a city for yourself.

Features
Obviously, there will be a change in features. Something many will be upset about, but willing to accept will be the lack of warps in the civil world. I added warps to the main world for sightseeing and quick-travel purposes. I knew people would want to be able to quickly travel between areas to see what other people were up to. In the new world, this would only impair the experience. For this reason, I am disallowing the use of the MyHome plugin in the new world as well. You may set your spawn by sleeping in a bed.

This brings me to my next feature: TimeShift
Constant day is nice for building, but in a survival style world, you need more action. Time will always be on a normal cycle in the civil world.

Along the lines of survival and adventure, I've decided to allow creeper explosions in the civil world, in the wilderness at least. Don't worry about newcomers. They will be well warned when they enter the world.

Are there any new policies?
With so much change, I will be forced to pretty much rewrite the rules for the server. Not too much will change for the main world, but I will be clearing the user list and creating a new agreement for the server. This will include new policies on looting, PvP, building, and the tranquility of the server.

My thoughts
When I started the server, I was trying to emulate a server I used to play on, but now that I look at it, it's no wonder that server is down.
I look at other servers today and the communities they've inspired are born from a community driven server and it appears that everyone wants to play on servers like that so I will comply. Who knows? Maybe this is the right direction.

Please post your opinions below. I'd be glad to know what you think and I'd be more than happy to hear what you'd like to see in the server!
wildduder

Re: New Minecraft Server Format

Post by wildduder » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:27 pm

i think this is a great idea but i espesaly like the NPC and the being able to protect your own land.
-Wildduder
-Seakat
yuki_fox_demon

Post by yuki_fox_demon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:36 pm

what do you mean by no homes? like, no /home or we can't make our own home? o.O
Foxtrot200

Post by Foxtrot200 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 am

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough: /home will be disabled in the Civil world.

Return to “General Discussion”